A valley, two vines, and a flower

A place for a mom to rant and rave.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Kaylee Layer Cake Dress

Ivy wants a Kaylee dress for TeslaCon in November. I figure this gives me about 9 months to work on it. We briefly discussed this as a possibility after the last con, but as of today started making some serious plans to undertake this project. I figure Ivy and I can work on it together and we can see what we come up with. The initial steps of the project are involving a bunch of google searches for who has done this dress and their suggestions. However, I have yet to find anyone that did the project for a pre-teen. It is a little crazy to undertake this for someone of her age, but I figure any costume done for her can be worn by her younger sister in a few years.

So far, I have found some well-documented costume constructions of this dress:

And a wonderful image reference page at The Costumer's Guide to Movie Costumes.

We don't currently own a dress form, I am thinking of buying one just to make this construction a bit easier. I also am torn beside buying the hoop skirt and making one. If I can find one for close to what the boning will cost, I will just buy it.

My plans are to keep this blog as a record of my progress and notes. Hopefully I can keep up with it!

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Liana said…

    Hoop skirt purchased... this may be a bit much for her, but if it is, I can use it for me for another costume. We decided to got a bit OTT for her hoop.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home