A valley, two vines, and a flower

A place for a mom to rant and rave.

Friday, June 03, 2005

Concrete cylinders in the backyard

Recently, a little bit of plastic has been peeking through the topsoil in the backyard. Pulling the plastic back revealed a group of concrete cylinders that had been buried in the yard. Glenn started to dig one up, but decided that the hole would be a little too big and stopped.

My curiosity got the better of me and I decided to dig them out. Well, it turned out that there were a total of 13 of them, each being 6 inches in diameter and 12 inches tall. I didn't take out a scale to weigh them, but they are heavy.

Below are pictures of the cylinders, in a pile and the filled in hole. After digging them out, I was too lazy to go get the camera to get a picture of the empty hole. You can click on each picture to bring up a larger version. I included Rose in some of the pictures to add some sort of scale.

If anyone has any ideas as to why these might be buried in my yard, I would like to hear theories.



Glenn thinks they are from concrete sample prep, that the previous owner had some purpose for. There are three at the edge of the front porch, buried longways to half their diameter. There are also several used to edge one flowerbed. We know that the previous owner was an engineer. Maybe he used the leftovers for various purposes around the house.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:34 PM, Blogger Trudging said…

    Oh yeah life

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They may have been leftover samples that your previous owner brought home to use as edging materials or whatnot.

    Maybe he felt that burying them would be easier than disposing of them otherwise? If he had some drainage purpose in mind, I'd think that he would have broken them up more.

    Who knows? We have discovered some buried bricks along one side of the house--I suspect for a path to the back yard, but we haven't investigated further.

     
  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger Seth Johnson said…

    My dad often pours concrete in the bottom of holes he digs into which he plans to put posts. When I worked at Scout camp, we would do the same thing--putting rocks into the bottom of holes before putting in upright logs for pioneering projects. The purpose was so that the posts sat on something other than dirt and were more resistant to rot. (Why the end needed to be protected and not the sides, I'm not sure; I'm sure there's a reason, but I'd have to give it more thought.)

    The Quikrete Corporation, of course, thinks you should fill the whole hole with concrete--er, Quickrete:

    http://www.quikrete.com/diy/SettingPosts.html

    In any case, that seems like it may have been the case here--someone was building pilings for something that would sit on those concrete cylinders.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home