A valley, two vines, and a flower

A place for a mom to rant and rave.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

School library book

Ivy brought home her weekly library book and Glenn and I were glancing at it. This one is great! It is The Robots are Coming by Andy Rash. It is a book of 16 poems some of which feature robots, pirates, werewolves, and the Loch Ness Monster. The humor is a bit dark, so it may not be for your kids, but I expect that ours will love it. Ivy was reading it to Rose when we left to go get my new glasses, but I haven't had a chance to talk to her about it.

The book opens with a poem about robots coming to make coffee and going crazy from the caffeine, setting the tone for the book and it ends with a poem about all the other poems and how things are not scary. I highly recommend this book for any children that are piqued by things that are slightly off-kilter or for your inner child if that fits.

For your enjoyment, and a sample of the tone of the book, here is the poem entitled "Pirate"
I be the bloodthirsty pirate.
And no one's as cunning as I.
I has me a peg
whar thar should be a leg.
And a black patch a coverin' me eye.

I be the bloodthirsty pirate.
And no sword is faster than my.
I screwed a hook on
whar me hand is now gone
But you should see the other guy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home