A valley, two vines, and a flower

A place for a mom to rant and rave.

Monday, December 12, 2005

My daughter, the reader

Recently, Ivy has developed quite the passion for reading. She is reading almost any book she can get her hands on and reads before bed on week nights and reads when she wakes up on weekends. A year or so ago, I saw some mythology books at Frugal Muse and decided to grab them as I love reading mythology and I thought they might be good stories to read to the kids. Well, tonight, I walk in to say goodnight, and she is reading The Children of Odin. She had just started it, so we will see if she sticks with it or what she thinks of it.

I think that she will likely read it, but it may take months. After seeing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this summer, we got her the book. She took months to read it, only finishing it on our way back from Missouri on Thanksgiving. As we left the hotel to drive home, she had 50 pages left of the 150 page book. We suggested she read in the car. She asked what happened if she finished the book. I told her that if she finished the book, we would pull over and buy her a new one. I was fairly confident that since it had taken her months to read the first 100 pages, it was not likely that she would read the last 50 in a single day. Was I ever wrong! She pushed to read more by using the headlights of the car behind us as light when we were stuck in a traffic jam.

I love that she is getting such enjoyment out of reading. Now I just have to start feeding her more books as she finishes all the ones we own.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ivy might like the Taran books by Lloyd Alexander. (I think those skew slightly older, but if she's appreciating Charlie... then she might do well with it.)

    Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series, Ursula K. le Guin's Earthsea books (the first three), and Madeliene L'Engle's books (I think the third is Swiftly Tilting Planet, but I'm blocked on the first book) might do, but I think of them as being 5th/6th grade level for some reason.

    Actually, the Narnia books might not be a bad choice. The allegorical elements may well pass Ivy by (or be a good starting point for discussion).

    I suppose you could always get suggestions from the library, too, but that seems like cheating. :)

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I go to Amazon. And look up books under age groups. Obviously you will need to use a higher age group. But this is a great way to find series of books and those can keep her happy for months.

    Ticia

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oldies but goodies are Edward Eager's magic series. Either Half-magic or Seven Day Magic is the first one. When I was Ivy's age my favorites were Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series: Taran Wanderer, The Book of Three etc and the Boxcar children. I'm glad we can welcome Ivy into Readaholics R Us.

    Gaea

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let's not forget the Fairy Books of every color of the rainbow! The Blue Fairy Book has the most familiar ones.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home